Wednesday

Fast-Forward, Rewind: Approach to decisions in crisis

We deal with a lot of crises in student housing. As the point person for the Campus Advantage Rapid Engagement (CARE) team, I am often one of the first people to respond at a corporate level to crises.

When making decisions in crisis, having sound and well-thought out policies and procedures are essential, which is why we do a lot of planning for every crisis type we can think of.

There are also several keys to consider when making decisions in crisis, and I thought I'd share one here that I think about every time I deal with a crisis now.

I call it my "Fast-Forward, Rewind" approach to decisions in crisis. I find that surprisingly, some people tend to err on the side of under-reaction in crisis, when at times, the opposite approach is warranted.

I have started to apply this technique as part of my thought process in making decisions in crisis, and find it often creates clarity.

  1. First, "fast-forward" to potential ramifications of the action(s) being considered. Consider the potential results of taking action (or inaction, as the case may be). Think worst and best-case scenarios.
  2. Now, "rewind" to the decision at hand. Consider how this decision would look in hindsight given the potential outcomes you considered in step 1.
  3. When possible, run your decision by someone who is not directly involved in the crisis at hand.
  4. Finally, I believe it is best to err on the side of over-responding in crisis.
When combined with following pre-determined procedures and policies, this can help guide you in making on-the-spot decisions in crisis.

Remember, when it comes to crisis, there is no substitute for advanced planning and preparation, but hopefully this technique can add to your "toolbox" for making quick decisions in crisis.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 

Dan Oltersdorf | Student Housing Blog © 2008. Blogger Template by Blogger Tutorial