I won’t try to give you the entire concept (read the book, and add your ideas to the Purple Goldfish Project!), but in essence, the “purple goldfish” is something above and beyond that you consistently give to your customer that sets you apart. Think of Southwest (your bags fly free), the "baker's dozen," the warm cookies you get every time you check into a DoubleTree hotel, or for those of you who have ordered from Zappos, their VIP upgrade with free overnight shipping after your 2nd order.
- Move-ins… Having cold water and snacks in the apartments for people as they are moving in. Having a dedicated staff member during the move-ins whose job is simply to hand out ice pops on a hot day.
- Door to door package delivery… instead of making residents come to the front desk, we deliver packages to them at their room or apartment
- Milk & cookie carts during finals week.
- Every team member, from CA to porter to GM provides a friendly greeting 100% of the time to any person we encounter on a property, prospect or resident.
- Concierge booklet at the front desk with everything from pizza delivery numbers to who to call if you are struggling in your physics class.